Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vacation-Studying-Horse Racing

Last week I took a "vacation" from the computer, which is why I haven't updated this blog.  Outside of owning and operating an off-the-track standardbred rescue and rehabilitation facility, I also do residential bank appraisals, as well as real estate (which is my primary work).  In order to become an "accredited" appraiser with the Appraisal Institute of Canada, one has to take quite a few courses, and my latest course has me up to my elbows in projects.  Now for anyone who cares, the course I am currently taking is called "Foundations of Real Property Assessment and Mass Appraisal".  I realize the title just screams boredom, but in order to become a Certified Residential Appraiser, it must be done.  I am literally within inches of getting this degree, so to back out now would be a big mistake.  To be honest, I'd rather be studying the anatomy and physiology of horses, which is what I originally wanted to do when I was fresh out of highschool.....I wanted to become a large animal vet. *sigh*  Hmm, maybe I can "appraise" horses for their current market value?  Dare to dream. 

With that being said, I missed quite a bit of horse racing action this weekend, but I did catch my two favorite gal pals, Monkey On My Wheel and Village Janus, battle it out at Rideau Carlton.  MOMW held off the five-horse field to win it, which had me over-joyed because I had been following this "cutie patootie" for quite some time now.  She's really coming into her own now!

The only other race I caught was Crys Dream's race in the Hambo Oaks Elim. at the Meadowlands.  At first, I thought she was entered in error because last time I checked she tested positive and was on a 90 day suspension.  But apparently her suspension with the ORC doesn't travel south of the border.  This does not make sense to me.  If a horse tests positive and is suspended for a certain period of time, why does this cease to exist in other racing jurisdictions?  We obviously need a centralized governing body in harness racing.  Nothing against the horse, but what do we have rules for if all you have to do is shuttle elsewhere to race?  Anyways, she won, and it wasn't an impressive win either.

I definitely will be watching both the Hambo Oaks and the Hambletonian this weekend, and the programs look quite exciting.  Would like to see Manofmanymissions show up and take the win.

Well, back to studying......*snore fest*


Stay safe, keep your hooves on the ground, and keep reaching for the wire!   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment